New Inspection and Testing Regulations For Private Rented Landords
Draft regulations have now been laid before Parliament to ensure all Private Rented Sector properties meet minimum Electrical Safety Standards. What does this all mean for the Landlord and Tenant? See the bullet points below:
- From 1st July 2020 all new tenancies must have an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) completed before the tenancy begins
- All existing tenancies must have an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) completed by 1st April 2021
- These regulations will apply to all properties in the private rented sector.
- Local authorities can impose a financial penalty of up to £30,000 for a breach of the regulations. Where there are multiple breaches, the local authority can impose multiple penalties.
- The Landlord must supply a copy of this report to new or existing tenants living in the property within 28 days of the inspection.
- If the electrical safety report identifies a fault or potential fault, which the landlord must either investigate further or repair, the landlord must ensure further investigations or repairs are completed by a qualified person within 28 days of the inspection, or within the timeframe set out in the report if this is shorter.
- If a landlord breaches the above requirements, the local authority has a duty to act. Where urgent works are not required, the local authority must serve a ‘remedial notice’ on the landlord. This must be served within 21 days of the local authority deciding it has reasonable grounds to act. The landlord will have 28 days from the date of service of the notice to take the action outlined, or must make written representations within 21 days if they disagree with the notice.
We offer inspection and testing services on private rented sector in the Sutton and Croydon areas. We are experienced, fully registered and insured to carry out electrical inspections. If you would like a quote for the inspection and testing or if you would like a chat about your requirements then give us a call on 020 8914 8297.